Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Snack Time - Jazzied Green Beans

Yes, jazzied is a word... it means to add a little pizzazz to something otherwise a smidge mundane. In this case, the addition of red onion and lemon zest pizzazz to some steamed green beans. As I've mentioned, I like to keep veggies around in the fridge in case I need a little something more than my nut snack in between meals. This week, I decided to jazzy up some green beans. I took two bags of the Trader Joe's haricot verts (I just prefer the smaller, French, green beans but you can use any kind) and cooked one bag at a time in the microwave for 1.5 minutes (don't forget to snip the corner). The bag suggests cooking for 3 - 4 minutes, but I like a crisp green bean. After cooling for a bit, I cut open the bags and rolled the green beans out of the bag (they stay nice and lined up for quick cutting).
I cut the green beans in thirds and put the pieces in a large tupperware. Then I mixed them with finely diced red onion, a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper. Keep the tupperware in the fridge and spoon some out for a snack or a lunch side dish. For an even jazzier veggie snack with a little punch of protein, sprinkle chopped pecans, slivered almonds or feta on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment