Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Greek Frittata

My man had a big hearing this morning, so although I joked with my yoga instructor that I wouldn't even be able to lift my arms after our 7 a.m. class, I hussled home and made him a delicious Greek-inspired frittata.

INGREDIENTS
8 - 10 eggs (I used 1/2 of a 16oz. carton of egg substitute and 3 whole eggs)
2 - 3 Tbsp unsweetened soy milk
1/4 Cup red onion, chopped
2 Cups spinach, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp kalamata olives, pitted, coarsley chopped*
2 Tbsp pepperoncinis, seeds removed, chopped*
2 Tbsp Greek feta, crumbled
1 - 2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
*Buy already pitted olives and already sliced pepperoncinis to save yourself time.
DIRECTIONS
Place eggs and/or egg substitute in a medium bowl, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, add soy milk and then whisk with a fork until blended. Set aside. Set broiler to high. Heat olive oil in a 12", oven-proof skillet* over medium-high heat. Add onions, cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, pepperoncinis and olives and saute until spinach is wilted. Spread veggies evenly over skillet and pour egg mixture on top. If needed, tilt the skillet from side to side to evenly distribute the eggs. Cook until bottom is set, approximately 4 minutes. A thin layer of runny egg with remain on top. Sprinkle feta evenly over the frittata.
Put the skillet in the broiler and cook until golden, approximately 5 minutes more. Remove the frittatta from the broiler and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Use a plastic or wooden spatula to cut the frittata into quarters or eight slices.
* If you don't have an oven-proof skillet (I don't) cover the plastic handle with tin foil.

Why Frittata? My favorite way to prepare eggs is in a frittata. First of all, it just sounds fancy... "would you like to join me for a champagne brunch? I'm making a frittata." Second of all, its terribly easy - saute delicious veggies or other yummies, pour eggs over the top, cook on the stove for a bit and then throw it in the broiler for a few minutes - no potential omelet flipping disaster involved. Thirdly, frittatas are totally transportable - eat it on the go like a piece of pizza (ahh, pizza, how I miss you!) And lastly, it keeps well in the fridge. I make frittatas in my 12" skillet, cut it into fourths and I have breakfast for myself and Max for two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment