Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Garlic Green Beans

Max and I have been loving garlic green beans. They are pretty low maintenance and very yummy.   I like using the thinner and more delicate French green beans (haricot verts). I've been working on my technique for a while - I hope you enjoy it!
First, I chop the green beans roughly into thirds.
Then, heat a pan to medium (too high and they will burn before they get tender) and coat the bottom with extra virgin olive oil.  Add the green beans and cook, stirring occasionally,  for about 10 minutes until they are just tender and beginning to brown. If you are using larger green beans, it may take longer.

Add sliced garlic and a little salt to the pan.  Cook, stirring more frequently, until the garlic is golden.  About another five minutes.  Don't burn your garlic - it gets bitter.
There really is no recipe for this.  You should use amounts to your liking.  I used the whole bag of TJ's haricot verts, but you could use less or more depending on how hungry you are or how many people you're feeding.  I like my green beans a bit oily - it makes me think its a treat like french fries.  But you don't have to add much oil if you prefer.  You can omit the garlic all together or go crazy with it.  Same goes for the salt - add as much or as little as you'd like.  You might like to try adding a little soy sauce and/or toasted sesame oil at the end for a bit of an asian flare. Whatever your variation, I think you are going to like having this veggie side dish in your arsenal.  

2 comments:

  1. Poppy, Love yr recipes and pics! Just reposted on the FB Gundry group again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. So happy you enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete