Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jonesin' for Indian Food

Max and I love Indian food.  In fact, on one of our first dates, he introduced me to our favorite Indian place in Hollywood.  We would always get the Shrimp Tikka Masala and the Sag Paneer. So, I was delighted (and a bit skeptical) when I saw Dr. Gundry's recipe for Sag Paneer on page 256 of DGDE:

1 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese or low-fat ricotta

In a skillet or wok, combine the curry powder and oil and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the spinach and salt. Raise the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.  Stir in the cheese and heat thoroughly.  Serve as a side dish or as a base for one of the sliced meat recipes.

I've made this recipe several times and have done a bit of experimentation.  I like the recipe best with a bit more curry (maybe close to a tablespoon), a bag or box of fresh baby spinach (instead of frozen) and with the ricotta rather than the cottage cheese.  I generally serve this as a side dish as suggested, but, on the particular afternoon that I took the above picture, I decided to make the dish a meal and served it with a warmed low-carb tortilla ~ a la naan.

1 comment: