Saturday, July 3, 2010

Tempting Tempeh: My New Favorite Protein

Dr. G. encourages us move away from animal-based proteins after the initial "Teardown phase" of his program.  So, I've been trying to do just that.  Several months back I tried tempeh for the first time, and I love it.
I'm pretty sure I had never even heard of tempeh prior to reading Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution.  It is a plant-based protein made from fermented soybeans formed into blocks.
I find it to be a hearty meat substitute.  It reminds me a bit of the consistency and mild taste of a garbanzo bean.  I've been chopping it up and putting it on my lunch salads.
It is also delicious cooked. Here's Dr. G's recipe for Cajun Blackened Tempeh on page 200:

1 (11-ounce) block tempeh, thawed (if frozen) and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick strips
3 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, such as Emeril's
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Toss the tempeh strips in the soy sauce, then sprinkle with or roll in Cajun seasoning.  Heat the oil in a nonstick or cast iron frying pan over medium-high heat.  Add the tempeh and brown for 2 minutes; turn and brown on the other side for 2 minutes more.

Why ditch animal protein?  According to Dr. G. it takes a lot of heat to break down the proteins in animal flesh, which sends a message to your genes that you are working too hard and aren't worth keeping around.  Too much heat activates those killer genes!  Check out his explanation for yourself on pages 134 and 135 of DGDE.

No comments:

Post a Comment