Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic with "Breaded" Chicken Cutlets

Prior to following DGDE, I rarely ate cauliflower.  In fact, I recall a conversation at a friend's birthday party a few years back in which I scolded a really fit, gay gentleman for planning to serve mashed cauliflower in lieu of potatoes at his Thanksgiving soiree.  However, as you've seen, I'm a convert and I now eat mashed cauliflower fairly regularly.  A few months back, my friend (also a fellow blogger and amateur chefstress) urged me to try this vegetable roasted. So, tonight, I did, and my goodness, it was delicious!
Simply toss cauliflower in extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 350 degree oven until tender and browned, approximately 45 minutes.  For an added dimension, I threw in a few garlic cloves about half way through the roasting.  I served the cauliflower with Dr. G's Fried Chicken with Almond "Breading" (recipe below and on page 246 of DGDE) over some greens and red onions.  Serve, as shown, for a Phase 2 meal or with a bit more chicken in Phase 1.  Max and I finished the better part of two Trader Joe's 12-oz. bags of cauliflower florets.
 

Fried Chicken with Almond "Breading"
Phases 1 -3, Serves 2 (and Later 4)
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce
2 skinless, boneless free-range chicken breasts*
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fresh lemon (optional)
Combine buttermilk and Tabasco in a sturdy resealable plastic bag or flat casserole dish.  Pound chicken breasts under a piece of plastic wrap with a wooden mallet or back of a heavy spoon until about 1/2 inch thick.  Place the breasts in the buttermilk mixtures and soak at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the almond meal, salt and pepper and place in another resealable plastic bag.* Drain chicken breasts and immediately drop one into the bag with the almond meal and shake to cover.  Remove and repeat with second breast.  Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook about 4 minutes on first side.  Lower the heat to  medium, turn the chicken and cook 4 minutes on other side, or until done.  Remove the chicken to a carving board to sit for 2 minutes.  Slice into 1/2 inch strips and serve over lettuce or other greens.  Drizzle with oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.  
* I don't generally have buttermilk around the house.  I used a combination of almond milk and egg substitute and it worked just fine. I cut a chicken breast into smaller cutlets as seen in the picture and skipped the pounding step.  I just put the almond meal on a plate and tossed the chicken by hand - no use in wasting a plastic bag!  

No comments:

Post a Comment