Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Arugula Salad with Sprouts, Avocado and Tuna

This salad is simple and delicious!  The interesting combination of arugula, tuna and sprouts was introduced to me by our lovely friend Sam who lived with us for a while.  Most of the meals we shared involved too much wine and cheese, but every once in a while we were well behaved.  The crazy Brit is now back across the Pond and we miss her dearly. I think of her often however, and the other day, I remembered this simple, yummy salad.

I put a slight variation on the original, adding avocado to supplement the tuna with a non-meat protein.  I combined all the the ingredients in a mixing bowl, drizzled them with a good-quality olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. A mustard or lemon vinaigrette would also be delicious on this salad.  For my single serving I used:

3 oz baby arugula (about 1/2 a bag or box)
1.5 oz alfalfa sprouts
1/2 6-oz. can of tuna
1 Tablespoon avocado*
1.5 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

* When I'm using just a bit of avocado on a salad, I usually cut the avo in half and then use the tip of a spoon to scoop out little bits.  This technique helps to spread the avocado throughout the salad instead of having one big clump.  Store the rest of the avocado in tupperware and keep it in the refrigerator. In Phase 2 and 3 you can eliminate the tuna and add more avocado.

No comments:

Post a Comment